The Ekiti State Government has intensified investigations into reports of offensive odour in parts of Ado Ekiti, the state capital, urging residents to remain calm and avoid spreading unverified information.
The State Commissioner for Information, Taiwo Olatunbosun, said the government was working with relevant institutions and experts to identify the source of the odour and address any environmental or public health concerns arising from it.
Olatunbosun, in a statement made available in Ado Ekiti on Sunday, said coordinated investigations, inspections and surveillance had been carried out in locations where residents reported the obnoxious smell.
According to him, the state government commenced the exercise after receiving complaints from residents and subsequently engaged relevant agencies and experts to assess the situation, exchange information and determine practical measures for tracing the source of the odour.
He said the government’s efforts had so far identified several activities capable of causing environmental nuisance and foul smells, including indiscriminate sewage disposal, poor waste management and the discharge of decomposed materials into public channels.
The commissioner said enforcement actions had been taken against some identified offenders.
“These include prosecution, sealing of affected premises, clearing of environmental nuisances and fumigation of affected areas, to curtail activities capable of generating or worsening the odour,” he said.
Olatunbosun also disclosed that the Ekiti State Ministry of Environment and Natural Resources had conducted air and gas analysis to obtain scientific data that could help determine the nature and possible source of the reported odour.
He assured residents that the government was closely monitoring the situation and would continue working with relevant agencies and experts until the matter was properly investigated and appropriate measures taken.
“The situation is being closely monitored. The state government is working with relevant agencies and experts to ensure that the matter is properly investigated and appropriate measures taken to normalise the situation,” he said.
The commissioner called on residents to remain calm, warning against speculation and the circulation of unverified information that could create unnecessary panic.
He also encouraged anyone with useful information about the source of the odour to contact the appropriate authorities, particularly the Ministry of Environment and Natural Resources, through 08145571085.
Olatunbosun reiterated the commitment of the Biodun Oyebanji administration to environmental protection and maintaining a clean, safe and healthy environment for residents across Ekiti State.




