The Fusengbuwa Ruling House of Ijebu-Ode has petitioned Ogun State Governor Dapo Abiodun over the emergence of what it described as an unauthorised breakaway group amid the prolonged dispute over the vacant stool of the Awujale and Paramount Ruler of Ijebuland.
In the petition dated August 15, 2026, and received at the Governor’s Office in Abeokuta on August 17, the ruling house accused Adeleke Adeyemi, a former secretary of one of its former units, and his associates of convening meetings without authorisation and creating a parallel leadership structure.
The petition, sighted by Eagle 102.5 FM, Ilese-Ijebu, was signed by the Chairman of the ruling house, Otunba Abdul Lateef Adebayo Owoyemi; Deputy Chairman, Otunba Dokun Ajidagba; Vice Chairman, Prof. Fassy Adetokunboh Yusuf; and General Secretary, Pastor Prince I. Bola Salami.
Copies were also sent to the Ogun State Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice, Commissioner for Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs, Secretary to the State Government, Chairman of Ijebu-Ode Local Government and Chairman of the Awujale Afobajes Council.
The ruling house alleged that Adeyemi had continued to organise meetings in the name of the Otunba Oladokun Ajidagba unit despite efforts to unify the three units within the Fusengbuwa Ruling House.
It further alleged that Adeyemi, alongside Ridwan Oduneye and others, constituted a purported nine-member fact-finding committee whose activities were aimed at discrediting the recognised leadership and disrupting the process of selecting the next Awujale.
The family described the alleged activities as “anti-family” and appealed to Governor Abiodun not to recognise or engage with what it called an “illegal and lawless group.”
According to the petition, the state government had previously encouraged the three units of the Fusengbuwa Ruling House to unite and work together in selecting candidates for the vacant stool.
The ruling house said its recognised leadership had already completed the nomination exercise and forwarded the names through the appropriate channels, warning that attempts to reopen or overturn the process could further worsen the crisis.
The petition also addressed allegations surrounding the January 2026 nomination exercise, including complaints made on behalf of Fuji musician, Alhaji Wasiu Ayinde Marshal, popularly known as KWAM1.
The ruling house rejected claims that eligible members were unlawfully disenfranchised during the exercise.
It also disputed allegations involving Oduneye, claiming that he and his father had previously acknowledged visiting KWAM1’s residence to sign a Fusengbuwa Ruling House membership form for the musician to enable him contest for the throne.
The family said the proposal was rejected by the wider ruling house.
It attributed the exclusion of some individuals from the nomination venue to the limited capacity of Bisrod Hall, where the exercise was held, as well as what it described as the conduct of certain individuals.
The latest petition followed the emergence of a faction led by Adeyemi and Oduneye, which has challenged the authority of the recognised leadership of the ruling house.
The faction’s fact-finding committee reportedly accused Owoyemi, Yusuf and Ajidagba of financial inducement, document manipulation and other irregularities in the Awujale nomination process.
The committee’s report was presented by the faction led by Adeyemi, who was himself an aspirant to the vacant Awujale stool and secretary of the now-defunct Otunba Ajidagba unit.
The faction subsequently purportedly announced the removal of the three leaders at a meeting held at the Agunsebi Family House and named Adeyemi as interim secretary.
However, the Grand Council of the Fusengbuwa Ruling House rejected the purported removal, describing the fact-finding committee as unauthorised and reaffirming its confidence in Owoyemi, Yusuf and Ajidagba.
The council also accused Adeyemi, Oduneye and their associates of acting outside the authority of the recognised organs of the family.
The breakaway group, however, maintained that its actions were based on a general meeting attended by 115 members and argued that it was seeking to restore due process and unity within the ruling house.
The dispute has added fresh uncertainty to an already prolonged succession process.
The Awujale stool became vacant on July 13, 2025, following the death of Oba Sikiru Kayode Adetona at the age of 91 after approximately 65 years on the throne.
The succession process has since been dogged by disagreements over eligibility, procedure and the authority of various stakeholders.
Under the established chieftaincy arrangement, the Fusengbuwa Ruling House is currently entitled to produce the Awujale. Other houses in the rotation are Fidipote, Gbelegbuwa and Anikinaiya.
The Ogun State Government suspended the selection process in December 2025 and again in January 2026, citing petitions and concerns raised by stakeholders and security agencies.
The suspension has remained in place pending the outcome of investigations.
In January 2026, the Fusengbuwa Ruling House conducted its nomination exercise at Bisrod Hall, producing 95 aspirants — 94 princes and one princess — for consideration.
The exercise became contentious after KWAM1 petitioned the state government, alleging that he and other eligible members were unlawfully excluded. He also challenged the use of a “delegate card” system, arguing that it violated the applicable chieftaincy law.
The ruling house has consistently rejected those allegations, including questions surrounding the musician’s membership of the family.
With the selection process still suspended and rival groups now contesting the leadership of the Fusengbuwa Ruling House, the latest petition has further complicated efforts to resolve the succession crisis and determine who will eventually occupy the historic Awujale throne.




