The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) has urged the Federal High Court in Lagos to reject the bail application filed by 10 defendants accused of operating an alleged clandestine methamphetamine laboratory in Ogun State.
The agency argued that the defendants formed an organised network involved in the illicit production and trafficking of methamphetamine, as well as the acquisition and transportation of precursor chemicals used in its manufacture.
The alleged laboratory, located in Iloti Village, Ogun State, was valued at N480 billion by the prosecution in the case.
The defendants are Anochili Innocent, Juan Carlos Meza Torrero, Nemecio Martinez Felix, Jesus Lopez Valles, Nwankwo Sunday Christian, Egwuonwu Uchenna Victor, Igwe Abuchi Remujus, Ifeanychukwu Chibuike Joshua, Omonughwa Kingsley Orike and Nwobum Emeka.
They are facing charges bordering on the alleged illicit production and trafficking of methamphetamine and possession of precursor chemicals.
When the matter came up before Justice Akintayo Aluko on Thursday, counsel to the defendants, Benson Ndakara, asked the court to grant them bail.
Ndakara said he approached the vacation court because of the urgency of the application, stressing that it concerned the fundamental rights of the defendants, who remain in custody.
He told the court that the prosecution had been served with the application and had responded through a counter-affidavit.
In their affidavit, the defendants argued that the first defendant was being unjustifiably detained and claimed that no hard drugs were found on him.
They also relied on the constitutional principle that an accused person is presumed innocent until proven guilty by a competent court.
The defendants said they had intended to establish a poultry farm, piggery and alcoholic wine manufacturing business at the location where the alleged laboratory was discovered.
They further argued that the offences for which they were charged were bailable and pledged to provide reliable sureties if released.
The applicants also cited health concerns, claiming that the conditions of some of them had deteriorated and required specialised medical attention.
However, NDLEA counsel, Buhari Abdullahi, opposed the application, arguing that there was no justification for the defendants to approach the vacation court.
Abdullahi said the charge had already been filed before the regular court presided over by Justice Musa Kakaki of the Federal High Court in Lagos, where the defendants had been arraigned and entered their pleas.
According to him, the regular court had ordered an accelerated hearing of the case, with the prosecution already calling its first witness.
The prosecutor said the agency had fully stated its objections to the bail application in its counter-affidavit.
He argued that the defendants posed a flight risk and that releasing them would amount to setting them free because they could abscond.
Abdullahi said three of the defendants were Mexican nationals, while the first defendant, whom the prosecution described as the alleged financier and organiser of the syndicate, holds both Nigerian and Mexican citizenship.
On the health claims, the prosecutor argued that the defendants had not provided evidence showing that their conditions were beyond the capacity of medical facilities at the correctional centre.
He said the alleged illnesses had not been established to be of a nature that the correctional centre’s medical facility could not manage.
The prosecutor also dismissed the defendants’ claim that the facility was intended for legitimate businesses.
He told the court that NDLEA investigations showed that the alleged laboratory was “owned, financed and sponsored” by the first defendant and was established and equipped for the illicit production of methamphetamine.
Abdullahi said operatives recovered equipment, apparatus, chemicals and other materials allegedly connected with the production of controlled substances.
Among the substances recovered, he identified Propyl-2-Propanone as a major precursor agent used in methamphetamine production.
The prosecution said it would rely on physical, documentary, forensic and laboratory evidence to prove its case.
Abdullahi consequently urged the court to dismiss the defendants’ bail application.
After hearing arguments from both parties, Justice Aluko reserved ruling on the application until September 2, 2026.




