Efforts to secure the release of abducted pupils, teachers and school administrators in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State are ongoing, according to Professor Wole Alamu, husband of a school principal among the abductees, Mrs Alamu Folawe.
Professor Alamu disclosed this on Wednesday during a telephone interview with Eagle 102.5 FM, Ilisha-Remo, Ogun State, amid growing concerns over the abduction incident that has continued to draw national attention.
He appealed for restraint in public discussions surrounding the rescue mission, warning that premature disclosure of sensitive information could undermine ongoing security operations.
“We are going to grant interview, but not now. The work is seriously being done underneath. Anything you say now may jeopardise the rescue operations,” he said.
The university lecturer also commended Governor Seyi Makinde and security operatives for what he described as coordinated and relentless efforts aimed at ensuring the safe return of the victims.
His remarks followed intensified security operations against armed bandits after the killing of a teacher, Michael Oyedokun, and the abduction of dozens of pupils, students and teachers from schools within the Esiele community in Oriire Local Government Area.
A viral video circulated online on Friday showed the abducted principal of Community Grammar School, Esiele, Mrs Folawe, emotionally appealing to the federal government, the Oyo State government, security agencies, the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) and well-meaning Nigerians to intervene and facilitate their release.
In the footage, the visibly distressed principal said the victims had remained in captivity since the attack on the schools.
The coordinated attack reportedly targeted Community Grammar School, Baptist Nursery and Primary School, Yawota, and L.A Primary School, where armed hoodlums abducted several pupils, teachers and school administrators.
The Oyo State Police Command had earlier confirmed that an assistant headmaster, identified as Mr Adesiyan, and an okada rider were killed during the incident.
Meanwhile, security operations have intensified across affected communities and adjoining forest corridors believed to be serving as hideouts for the abductors.
The Inspector-General of Police, Olatunji Disu, has reportedly arrived in Oyo State to personally oversee a technology-driven rescue operation, including the deployment of the police Intelligence Response Team.
Governor Makinde also disclosed that two newly acquired surveillance aircraft were being prepared to provide aerial intelligence over forest areas suspected of harbouring the kidnappers.
Security agencies further revealed that several suspects had been arrested for allegedly acting as informants to the abductors by helping them navigate routes within the Old Oyo National Park.
The Oyo State government maintained that while it remained open to dialogue aimed at securing the release of the victims, it would not finance ransom payments.
Reacting to the development, President Bola Tinubu condemned the killing of one of the abducted teachers, describing the act as barbaric.
In a statement issued by his Special Adviser on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, the president assured Nigerians that security agencies were working round the clock to rescue the remaining victims and apprehend those responsible.
“The IGP, following my instructions, is personally leading the tech-driven operation. We expect a breakthrough soon. The bandits and all their local collaborators will be fished out and made to face the full wrath of the law,” the statement read.
President Tinubu also reiterated the need for the establishment of state police, urging the National Assembly to accelerate legislative processes toward its creation as part of broader efforts to tackle insecurity across underserved communities in the country.




