Oyo State Governor Seyi Makinde has reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to fairness, transparency, and adequate compensation for property owners affected by ongoing construction on the Ibadan Circular Road corridor.
The governor gave the assurance on Wednesday during a meeting with affected homeowners, community association leaders, and residents whose buildings fall within the designated setback areas of the expansive road project.
Makinde emphasised that his government remains accountable to the electorate and will not abandon critical infrastructure projects because of political transitions. He noted that unlike many outgoing administrations that slow down major projects, his government is determined to complete the Circular Road and other legacy developments.
“You installed this government. And if, for over six years, this government did not fail you, it means we will still not fail you,” Makinde said. “When most governors get to this point in office, they stop executing major projects because they are about to leave. But that only transfers problems to the next administration.”
He explained that portions of the 110-kilometre road fall within existing built-up communities where many homes were erected directly on the original alignment. The governor added that compensation had already been paid to legitimately affected owners in segments where work had advanced.
Providing updates on the project, Makinde highlighted the three major sections of the road, noting that the 32-kilometre stretch from the Technical University to the Ibadan–Ife Road at Badeku is nearing completion. “Within the next three months, we should be done with that segment. We faced similar challenges there too, as some people’s bedrooms were already on the road,” he said.
On the contentious setback issue, the governor stated that the state has approved a maximum limit of 150 metres in already developed areas to accommodate the proposed rapid transfer network, which is expected to run at speeds of 80–100 km/h.
“There is a highway code for setback. Even a single-lane federal highway requires 50 metres. So if anyone marks beyond 150 metres here, disregard it. If they mark your house outside the 150 metres, disregard it,” he declared.
Makinde also announced that the New Town and Cities Development Authority would serve as the single interface between the government and host communities, eliminating confusion caused by multiple agencies issuing directives.
“You will set up your team, they will set up theirs, and you will deal directly. No house will be demolished without compensation,” he assured.
The governor referenced the 2018 setback gazette, stressing that although it predated his administration, his government had implemented its provisions more realistically to prevent undue hardship on residents. “In built-up areas, we won’t go beyond the approved setback. That is exactly what we did in Badeku. We cannot do 500 metres on both sides in a place like this,” he said.
Reiterating his readiness for dialogue, Makinde urged community representatives to expand their leadership structure from six to ten members to ensure broader representation and smoother engagement.
“I am not the most perfect human being. Only God is perfect. Where there are mistakes, we are ready to listen. This is your government,” he added.
During the interactive session, representatives of the affected communities voiced their concerns, fears, and appeals. One spokesperson reminded the governor that the residents were only seeking survival, saying, “We are not the ones frying akara; we are law-abiding. We are only fighting for our lives.”
Another representative urged the governor to provide written documentation of all assurances made, citing previous commitments. “Please, every promise made here today should be put into writing for documentation. We are saying this because on the 23rd of September 2024, you made us a promise that any building standing right on the 500-metre road would not be demolished,” he said.
Community leaders also asked for clearer guidelines on what residents should expect, even after engaging with the Ibadan New Town and City Commission. Others lamented the growing hardship in the affected areas, with reports of hospitalisations and deaths linked to the tension and uncertainty surrounding the project.
While reiterating their support for the Circular Road, the residents appealed for a reduction in the corridor width from 150 metres to 60 metres to minimise displacement. “If we are displaced, where do we go? We have all our lives here. We have spent all our life savings acquiring our lands and securing shelter. Please do not displace us,” a representative pleaded.
The group further requested that any formal reduction in the corridor width be put in writing to prevent future reversals by subsequent administrations.

