DHQ confirms arrival of 100 US military personnel in Bauchi

us soldiers

US troops arrive for training, not combat, says DHQ

nrs publication

Share the story:

The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) has confirmed the arrival of 100 United States military personnel and equipment at the Bauchi airfield, describing the deployment as part of a bilateral security partnership focused strictly on training and advisory support.

In a statement issued on Monday, Defence spokesperson, Brigadier General Samaila Uba, said the deployment followed a recent security agreement between Nigeria and the United States.

He explained that the federal government formally requested assistance from the US in the areas of military training, technical support, and intelligence sharing to strengthen the operational capacity of the Nigerian Armed Forces.

According to Uba, the collaboration will grant Nigeria access to specialised technical capabilities aimed at enhancing its ability to deter terrorist threats and protect vulnerable communities nationwide.

He stressed that the US personnel are technical specialists serving exclusively in advisory and training roles, clarifying that they are not combat forces.

All activities, he added, will be conducted under the authority, direction, and control of the Federal Government of Nigeria, in close coordination with the Nigerian military hierarchy.

Nigerian troops are expected to commence joint training engagements and intelligence-focused cooperation initiatives with the US team in the coming days.

These engagements, the DHQ said, are designed to sharpen the ability of Nigerian forces to identify and neutralise extremist groups seeking to destabilise the country.

The military reiterated its commitment to degrading and ultimately defeating terrorist organisations that threaten Nigeria’s sovereignty, national security, and the safety of citizens. Uba assured the public that the armed forces would maintain transparency and provide accurate and timely updates regarding the cooperation framework.

The development follows months of diplomatic and political pressure from US President Donald Trump, who criticised Nigeria over what he described as insufficient protection for Christians affected by attacks from Islamist militants and armed groups.

Trump designated Nigeria a “Country of Particular Concern” (CPC), a classification the Nigerian government firmly rejected, insisting that violence in the country cuts across religious and ethnic lines.

The US president had earlier ordered airstrikes in Nigeria on Christmas Day, targeting Islamic State elements in the North-West, an operation later described by both US and Nigerian authorities as collaborative.

Following engagements in Abuja, the head of the United States Africa Command (AFRICOM), General Dagvin Anderson, confirmed that a small US military team was in Nigeria to provide intelligence support.

The presence of American personnel has drawn criticism from some quarters, with concerns raised about possible implications for Nigeria’s territorial integrity.

However, the DHQ maintained that the partnership remains anchored on capacity building, professional military education, intelligence sharing, logistics support, and strategic dialogue, all within existing bilateral frameworks and with full respect for Nigeria’s sovereignty.

Nigeria continues to confront a complex and protracted security crisis involving multiple armed groups. These include Boko Haram, its breakaway faction Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP), and the ISIL-linked Lakurawa group, alongside heavily armed bandit networks notorious for kidnapping and illegal mining activities.

According to United Nations data, several thousand people have been killed in the ongoing insurgency and related violence across parts of the country, underscoring the urgency of strengthened security cooperation and institutional capacity enhancement.

Please share:

westng whatsapp
westng telegram

Let's have your comment

SIGN UP FOR OUR DAILY UPDATES