President Bola Ahmed Tinubu on Wednesday declared a nationwide security emergency, unveiling far-reaching measures aimed at confronting the escalating wave of terrorism, banditry and violent crime across the country. The President’s address, delivered amid growing public anxiety, signalled one of the most sweeping security directives of his administration.
Tinubu announced fresh authorisation for large-scale recruitment into the Armed Forces and the Nigeria Police Force as part of a broader push to place more security personnel on the frontlines. The police, he said, have been directed to recruit an additional 20,000 officers, raising the current intake to 50,000, while the military has also been cleared to expand its ranks immediately.
“In view of the emerging security situation, I have decided to declare a nationwide security emergency,” the President said, stressing that the development demands urgent reinforcement of national security assets. He added that previously upgraded police training facilities could now be supplemented with National Youth Service Corps camps, which are authorised to serve as temporary training depots to speed up the recruitment process.
Tinubu also confirmed that officers withdrawn from VIP protection duties will undergo accelerated retraining before being redeployed to communities most affected by insecurity. “They will be debriefed and prepared to deliver more efficient services,” he said, emphasising the need to redirect manpower towards areas under persistent threat.
The President further empowered the Department of State Services to deploy all trained forest guards immediately, with a clear mandate to flush out criminals hiding in forests nationwide. He also ordered the agency to recruit additional personnel to strengthen surveillance and forest security. “There will be no more hiding places for agents of evil,” he declared.
While commending security agencies for securing the release of 24 abducted schoolgirls in Kebbi State and 38 worshippers in Kwara, the president reiterated his administration’s commitment to rescuing remaining hostages, including students of the Catholic School in Niger State. He lauded the courage of the Armed Forces and paid tribute to fallen officers, including Brigadier-General Musa Uba, who was recently killed in combat.
Tinubu also urged the National Assembly to commence the process of reviewing relevant laws to allow states that require state police to establish them. He pledged federal support for states that already operate local security outfits to protect their communities.
On education and worship centres, the president advised states to reconsider the establishment of boarding schools in remote areas, poorly secured locations, and encouraged churches and mosques in vulnerable areas to maintain close coordination with security agencies.
Addressing persistent clashes between herders and farmers, Tinubu reiterated that the newly created Ministry of Livestock Development was designed to end the cycle of violence. He called on herder groups to embrace ranching, halt open grazing and surrender illegal weapons, noting that sustainable livestock management is essential to national harmony.
The President expressed sympathy to families affected by recent attacks in Kebbi, Borno, Zamfara, Niger, Yobe and Kwara states, assuring Nigerians that the government possesses both the will and capacity to defend the nation. “Those who want to test our resolve should never mistake our restraint for weakness,” he warned.
Tinubu appealed to citizens to remain calm, vigilant and cooperative, urging the public to report suspicious activities and support security operatives in ongoing operations. “We are in this fight together, and together we shall win,” he said.
He concluded with a call for unity and resilience: “Let us stand together in purpose and strength to defend our freedom and values.”

